The Anderson Funeral Home was first established in Albee, South Dakota, in 1908. The founders were John M. Anderson and Joseph G. Anderson, sons of Carl and Martha Anderson. Joseph learned the art of embalming in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1907 and John attended the University of Minnesota in the first mortuary class conducted there in 1909. They decided to move to the rapidly growing village of Watson in 1909 and named the firm - Anderson and Anderson Undertakers. They moved the business to Monte video in 1912 and rented the Paris Fream building on North 1st Street next to the River side Hotel. The brothers were among the few embalmers in those early years and traveled to the surrounding communities of Clara City, Maynard, Boyd, Dawson, Madison, and Benson. They were also one of the first to have a motorized hearse and provided livery service to many area towns. The Anderson brothers worked together until 1927 when Joseph moved to Appleton and established a funeral service there.
John Anderson operated alone until sons Arnold and Kenneth became involved in the business. They began as handymen and drivers and joined the firm following WWII. Arnold purchased the Johnson Funeral Home in Benson and remained there until 1951 when he was recalled into military service. He returned to Monte video and the funeral home in 1954. A cousin of Arnold and Kenneth, Russell Anderson, worked with them for over 30 years before retiring in 1991.